Friday, April 17, 2009

Volunteeer Trainer

My name is Stanzi McGlynn. I’m from Lake Placid, New York in America. I’m currently a junior at St. Lawrence University (3rd year) in Canton, New York. At St. Lawrence, I study Economics, Fine Arts, and African Studies. I’ve been in Kenya for about three months studying with my University’s abroad program here, which is over thirty years old and continues to be one of my school’s most popular and competitive programs.

During my stay in Kenya, I have been taking classes in Swahili, History, Health, and a general cultural study of East Africa and I have traveled to Kericho, Mombasa, and Amboseli as well as Tanzania. It’s been a great experience so far and I’ve really enjoyed myself and everything about Kenya!

Each student on our program must complete an Independent Study (IDS) at the end of the semester for the last month of our stay in Kenya. So for my IDS, I will be interning here at NairoBits teaching students about art theory and photography.

During my time here, I hope to leave an impression upon the students with what I will teach them about my background in art. Additionally, I hope to go through a process of cultural exchange with everyone at NairoBits, so that the experience can be one of mutual learning. Thus far, everyone at NairoBits, from the students to the trainers to the administrators, has made me feel extremely welcome and I look forward to an exciting month.

Thank you to everyone who is making this possible!

posted by bloggers.