Monday, April 13, 2009

Alumni Experiences

After a fun and funny chat, we settle down with three NairoBits ex-students together with the blog team for a brief interview about their challenges in the job market and achievements so far.
Martin Kariuki, Duncan Onyango and Fredrick Juma are all enthusiastic about the interview and are already having fun making jokes about each other's experiences.
I introduce myself and jokingly they respond as if it were an AA meeting, “Hi Tosh” and afterwards continue joking with the rest of the blog team.

From the left Fredrick, Duncan and Martin.

Martin now a freelancer finished the program in 2007 and has worked for 3 companies so far. He answers “Job satisfaction and financial stability” when asked why he has changed jobs that often in a short period. “I like working independently and ever I need my creative space... thats why I have settled on-to freelancing” he continues.
He spends a lot of time at Nairobits and when asked why he spends most of time with students he says he cant help it... “I just find myself ever ready to help and assist wherever I can. I had an easier and exciting time on my first job as my supervisor was an alumni and now one of my closest friends”.

Looking at Duncan and joking, we all burst into laughter about his thankful but funny comments towards Duncan for being there for him. His challenges during internship when asked weren't that much since he had a “cool” supervisor. “Since I left Nairobits I have seen a big improvement in the quality of work from students and I give a big thumbs up to the trainers for a job well done... I have grown tremendously with my skills and I thank them for the training and coaching afterwards”.


Turning the attention to Duncan, he shyly introduces himself with all his five names and we all laugh at his funny nicknames. He finished the program in 2006 and has also worked for 3 companies. “My experience with NairoBits students has been overwhelmingly creative!” He answers with a smile when asked how it feels to mentor interns from NairoBits. “They and we, are all hardworking compared to University graduates who come to work with these multimedia companies. It is such an inspiration working with them”.

When asked what he would be doing if he never joined Nairobits, Martin jokingly says, “hassling” and we all we all burst into laughter before Duncan responds.... “To be honest, I would still be struggling with whatever I was doing before” he says... for now, I foresee growth in myself that is beyond measure and I have absolutely no regret for joining NairoBits”. His word to the current class, “Try and explore new media thats upcoming in the market”.


Fred sits up and smiles as he introduces himself... “I was in the same class as Duncan and share most of my challenges and achievements having also worked for the companies as him. The only difference is that, my lifestyle changed and responsibilities are now more than I had before” he says.
“I haven't been able to comeback and assist in training new stuff I have learned, but I hope to do so as soon as I get time”. When asked how he feels about his current job stability he says “I cant feel better than what I feel at the moment and many thanks and congratulations go to NairoBits... its been a long time coming”.

We all smile as we conclude and joke about the recent resignations from our cabinet ministers...

Compiled by Hamilton and the Blog team.